Thursday, September 20, 2012

Simple Acts of Kindness



I returned to my office this morning from 7 glorious days in Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic.  I have traveled to other tropic places but I love the Dominican Republic largely because of the Dominicans themselves.  They are very kindhearted people who live the same lives we do just in a different place in the world.  They fall in love, raise families, grapple with bills and taxes, deal with politicians and all the rest of the stuff that makes up our lives.  Now I am not naive as I understand that in the hospitality business one is paid to be pleasant to one's guest.  However, being polite is required but being genuinely friendly is not.  Polite is meeting the needs of one's customers and being genuinely friendly is finding about the person behind those needs.  That is what the Dominican's have done all three times I have traveled to that country.  They ask you questions about your life and take the time to remember from day to day what tidbits you have told them. I am a Boston Red Sox fan and I love Big Papi (David Ortiz) who is Dominican.  Everyone I told that to mentioned it to me repeatedly during our stay.  That is being genuine friendly as in taking the time to remember things you are told by the people with whom you interact.
The picture is of Simon and my wife Julie.  The flower in her hair was presented to her by Simon on the day of our departure at the breakfast table.  I said: "Muchos Gracias" and his reply was: "Me encanta mi trabajo" (I love my job).
There is a message in the telling as well.  I have talked often about making yourself memorable.  Sharing your story is part of that process.
For what do people remember you?  If your answer is "not much", you can start changing that right now by little acts of kindness starting with REMEMBERING!
PS:  There are too many tools to help with this to abide with the excuse " I have a poor memory"

No comments:

Post a Comment