Thursday, September 27, 2012

Detective Work



     I am often the last resort when all else has failed in getting in touch with a prospect or lead or even in some cases a customer who fails to return phone calls or emails.  I actually enjoy the challenge of getting to the person in question.  I am no stalker but I usually manage to get a response from the person in question.  Is it always positive?  Hardly.  Am I consistently positive?  Always!

     We have so many ways to track down people these days short of paying for the information.  So I am looking for a contact at a business in Baltimore with whom we did business several years ago and there is no record of who the contact was then. (Message here is to fill our your customer file completely). So I go to Linked In and query the business name and find that I am 3rd in the thread and the direct contact with that business happens to be a person with whom I did business with in my sales days.  So I email him and he supplies me with the name of the VP of Sales who is his contact.  I call him and after a very nice conversation about the Baltimore Orioles successes this year, he gives me the name of the man who now handles the shipping and receiving.  He has yet to pickup his phone but you can bet I am going to call him until he does as voice mail in this kind of case is the kiss of death.  He will eventually answer and if after 10 calls he does not I will call the operator whose name I also have and ask her to page him for me.
     The point here is persistence will eventually pay off.  Can I guarantee it.  Certainly not.  But what I can guarantee is that each time you persist you will learn another tactic that will help you solve these problems in the future.  Quit and you gain nothing.

Sleuthingly yours,
Sherlock Dobson

No comments:

Post a Comment