Thursday, July 5, 2012

Attitude Is Everything!

    I used to have a sign over the entrance to my warehouse when I was in the import basket business in Arizona.  It simply read ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING. 
    I have never known anyone with realistically achievable goals who was able to successfully accomplish what they set out to accomplish that did not have a "can-do" attitude.  The thing about people with great attitudes is that they are able to actually see themselves accomplishing what they are in the process of attempting. The technically oriented would call that visualization.
    I never took a skiing lesson in my life but thanks to the famous ski film maker Warren Miller, I was able to visualize myself skiing down a mountain by carefully watching the moves that the skiers made on film and imagining myself doing the same thing to the point where I was actually able to sense what to do on the slopes in my own living room.  So one day I went to the top of a mountain and skied down as if I had been doing it all my life.  I had no fear because I had seen myself doing what was necessary to ski.
    Sales requires visualization. You plan your sales calls carefully and a big part of that planning should be a visualization of what will occur during that call and afterwards. Visualizing success is setting yourself up to succeed.  Believing in yourself, believing in the company you represent, and believing that you are providing value to your prospect or customer is tantamount to being successful.
    So shut your eyes for a moment and see yourself for not what you are but what you want to be.  Focus on that image and strive to become what you can be with the right attitude about your chances for succeeding.  That is the start.  Becoming that success will take hard work and constant learning but none of that will happen without the right attitude.  Because you see: ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING!

No comments:

Post a Comment