Thursday, January 3, 2013

Paralysis






Every new year I try to go back to this theme in my own mind so that I continue to realize what the greatest deterrence to my success in life really is.  It is the biggest roadblock to  dreams being fulfilled, to not becoming complacent, and to leading a happy life.  It is fear of rejection.  And it has killed off many people who had the potential to be great sales people simply because they would not or better still COULD not pick up the phone or make that next knock on the door that might have given them the impetus to move forward.  Instead fear of rejection caused them to join the ranks of the millions who quit on themselves every single day.
     I used to be in medical products sales for a large company. I called on every hospital in the state of Arizona no matter the size.  Did I get rejected? Too many times to admit.  Did I want to quit?  Too many times to admit.  Did I give up on myself. I did not and for this reason:  My attitude in my head was " Hey, you don't want to buy a product from me that will help you become a better medical facility.  Shame on you!  Now I am going down the street and sell it to your competitor and they will end up being better off for the buying of it"  A mind game that worked for me beyond my wildest dreams. I became a very successful sales person.
     I am am reading a great book by a guy named Robert W Smith and it is his only book to date so it won't be hard to find.  20,000 Days & Counting.  His mind game was to look for as many no's as he could find realizing that a yes was right around the corner.  That worked for him. What works for you?
     You find something that works for you and use it diligently and I assure you you will never again be paralyzed by the biggest killer of sales careers on the plant.  The fear of rejection!

Wishing You a Prosperous 2013 but it will be filled with rejections. Deal with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment